Today we are releasing version 1.5.0 to the beta channel. It comes with NOLO VR wireless support. It's not 100% finished but we wanted to start gathering some user reports to make the next version better based on your feedback.
[1.5.2] - We're changing the way tracking status is interpreted. If you had tracking issues with 1.5.0, try again with the new version. It should be available in Google Play 7PM UTC at the latest.
- Tracking may have decreased send rate, resulting in more frame skips (up to 20 dropped rotation frames per second).
- Controller rotation and position may go out of sync in respect to head marker after recentering.
There are few things that are not working correctly yet:
- There are no vibrations yet.
- Recentering may yield unstable results. You can turn controllers off and on again while holding them forward to make sure it resets properly.
- Sometimes controller rotation jumps ~30 degrees to the left. We're not sure if it happens to our hardware unit only. We asked for another set from NOLO to test it further.
We plan to continue our work to fix above problems. We should have another update ready for you next week.
To use NOLO VR in wireless mode simply plug it into your Android micro USB port with USB data cable. VRidge popup will ask you for permission to use this USB device. Check "remember my answer" and then tap "allow". From now on, VRidge will automatically start the moment you plug your NOLO VR device. You can later revoke the permission by going to Android application settings if you want.
Keep in mind that "Phone sensors" mode is still experimental as it fuses data together from two reference systems to create final 3D pose. It might yield incorrect results (controllers could be backwards, yaw might be skewed, etc.) This mode needs some extra tweaking and we might drop it completely in the future if no one uses it. Let us know if you find experience less laggy in this experimental mode.
Double tap menu buttons (upper buttons) while controllers are next to each other to recenter position and rotation
Double tap menu buttons (upper button) while controllers are apart to turn around
Rotation is still being tweaked so you might get odd results sometimes. The threshold between "next to each other" and "apart" is 10cm.
Blurry right eye (certain Galaxy devices)
Galaxy S7 and S8 come in two variants. US edition comes with Qualcomm Snapdragon chipset and almost all other countries get Exynos edition. We checked and it seems that we have ~10 confirmations total that it's indeed a Snapdragon only problem.
Now that we know that we cannot reproduce it with our unit we took some other steps to attempt to fix it. We will soon have upgraded Gear VR renderer. We're going to send test APK to few users that are willing to test if the new version still has the problem. We are also in contact with some people at Samsung. We are trying to create minimum reproducible test case so we can ask them to help with this problem. We will keep updating you on this topic. With all the additional details and help, maybe we will be able to fix this once and for all.
Update: It seems to be fixed in updated rendering framework internally. Next Gear VR update will no longer have this problem. Many thanks to all the people who volunteered to test our debug builds!
Under Fire VR
It's pretty cool so give it a try if you liked Scorched Earth back in the 90s. Our new developers now moved to other tasks that are much more related to VRidge.
More controllers option
More advanced tracking options are coming too but it's too early to share details about it.
Other changes and fixes
- We fixed a bug that prevented VRidge from working on Android O. It's working without any problems now on our Pixel XL with latest Android O (8.0, compilation id: OPP4.170623.014).
- Connection screen will now turn upside down properly if phone is held upside down.
- Settings screen will no longer freeze when SteamVR settings file is not writeable.
- Mobile tracking will now properly switch off when VRidge receives full pose matrix or rotation quaternion through VRidge API (GitHub #12)
- We need to finish tweaking nolo wireless mode. This should be done in a week or two.
- We're still reworking majority of the codebase for VRidge 2.0 revamp.
- Our new developers are working on new tracking options.
- Once 2.0 is out we will focus on optimizng latency and smoothness, jitter reduction and iOS version.